Providing a suitable High Availability (HA) solution for each database system is one of the challenging tasks for a DBA and here we have to answer some questions like the following ones:
- What is the cost for that HA solution?
- Is it required to change the system structure or the DB design to use that HA solution?
- Is it complicate to understand, use or maintain ?
Choosing the suitable HA solution for each system will depend on the answers of such questions …
In this post, I’m going to write about MySQL Master High Availability MHA as a nice tool which provides HA for MySQL by performing automatic fail-over or fast online master switching with almost no downtime!
Before going through more details about MHA, let’s first answer the previous questions:
- MHA is a free opensource tool, no cost to use it in your system and even no additional servers are required.
- No system changes or DB redesign are required to use MHA, keep your system as it is and just use the tool! (Assuming that MySQL replication is already being used).
- MHA is easy to implement and its usage is simple.
Continue reading →